Thursday, April 19, 2007

Pally changes - what, me worried?

So patch 2.10 is coming out soon, and it's a big one - chock-a-block full of changes, fixes and new content. A lot of changes to many classes, but I'm mainly going to talk about the changes to the Protection Paladin. Here are the changes that will affect me:

"Ardent Defender" (Protection) now reduces damage taken by 6-30% when below 35% health.
Even though it was easily leap-frogged, 50% damage reduction when below 20% health seemed better, especially when AoE grinding (many small hits), but I can see this being of greater benefit in instances where the hits are bigger - less likely to be leapfrogged. I'll say a tentative "I likes it".

"Avenger's Shield" no longer has a minimum range. It may be used on any target within 30 yards.
"Avenger's Shield": The damage portion of this ability will now be applied even if the victim is immune to snare.

Awesome! I've been caught out a few times getting into position for AS and accidentally body-pulling, such that by the time the cast-time is finished the mobs were already in my face. And the damage portion always landing is good.

"Divine Shield": This ability no longer removes or prevents the "Weakened Soul" debuff.
It's probably the sign of a bad pally tank, but I've rarely used Divine Shield while in instances, and wasn't aware of this trick. I can see DS being useful if I engage a group of mobs early, and as long as no ones heals or buffs in that time, no one else should get beaten on. Note to self: Use DS more.

"Greater Blessing of Kings": The cost for this blessing is now twice the cost of "Blessing of Kings", instead of a fixed cost of 150.

Have to spend longer drinking after buffing everyone. Got it.

"Hammer of Wrath": Rank 4, damage increased.

Rarely use this while tanking. Let the DPS finish it off, I'll conserve mana for the next fight. Sometimes good for runners, but if I have runners and I haven't judged Justice - shame on me! Also elite runners aren't usually going to be finished off with just one Hammer of Justice.

"Improved Seal of Righteousness": The percentage increase in damage from this talent is now applied after all bonuses from items and effects which increase your spell damage.

Rock on! I use this a lot in instances. Especially for shorter fights, or when I'm trying to generate even more threat I'll chain judge this baby.

New Protection Talent added: "Improved Holy Shield", 2 ranks: Increases damage caused by "Holy Shield" by 10/20% and increases the number of charges of "Holy Shield" by 2/4.

I wonder where in the tree this will be? What do I need to lose? Plenty of points I would respend on this in a heartbeat.

"One-Handed Weapon Specialization"(Protection): Now increases all damage caused by the paladin by 1-5% while a one-handed weapon is equipped.

All damage? Including Holy? This suddenly becomes much more interesting! More damage = more threat, and more holy damage = much more threat.

"Spiritual Attunement": Mana is no longer healed if the paladin is at full health.

Seems to be a bit of concern around the traps that this is a huge nerf - in the bigger raids I guess healers would overheal the pally to top-up their mana, or with shadow priests and vampiric embrace mana regenerated back in a nice steady manner. Having not experienced anything other than 5 man PuGs, and all without a shadow priest, and where the healers aren't going to waste their precious mana on overhealing me, I haven't had experience with that.

But, if the case is you're at full health most of the time - to get the mana you need to maintain aggro, you could be a bit of a jerk and leave longer gaps between refreshing your Holy Shield to take a bit more damage. Siphon off some of your healer's mana instead ;) Perhaps a tad reckless though. More mana pots I guess - and hope the other buffs offset things a bit - give me a chance to mix in a Wisdom now and then once I have a good threat lead.

No comments: